100 Years of 4-H Ontario
For 100 years, 4-H Ontario volunteers, members, and staff have worked together to create one of the foremost leadership programs for youth. In 2015, 4-H Ontario marks its century year, celebrating the remarkable success of a program that remains as popular today as it was back in its earliest years.
A devoted committee of 4-H Ontario staff and volunteers worked tirelessly this year on provincial-level celebrations for the 100th anniversary of the organization. Many 4-H Associations also planned local celebrations to mark this significant point in time.
Throughout 2015 many great provincial initiatives and celebrations helped akcnowledge our 100th Anniversary such as:
- A commemorative 2015 anniversary calendar, released in December 2014 and available for sale in our MiniStore
- A celebration of the first Ontario club at Steckle Farms in Kitchener which was attended by over 500 memebers and alumni on June 20
- Canada's Wonderland celebration day for members, volunteers & alumni which took place on July 25 featuring a special performance by country singer Leah Daniels
- Gala dinner in conjunction with the 2015 International Plowing Match in Eastern Ontario
- A historical publication
- 100th Anniversary bannerstand displays & vinyl banners (to book one for your event, contact the 4-H Ontario office!)
- Support for local and regional celebrations
- The Century Celebration Grant Program allows Associations and Regions the opportunity to apply for a one-time grant to be used to support a local event that honours the 100th Anniversary. Our hope is that this financial support enables more anniversary parties across the province that are accessible to a wide variety of people. For more information contact your local VS Coordinator or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special branded items in the 4-H Ontario MiniStore
4-H Ontario History Book - Celebrating a Century of 4-H in Ontario
This book celebrates a century of 4-H in Ontario through stories of members and families from across rural Ontario who have been involved in the 4-H program. Part 1 of the book was originally published in 1995 on the 80th anniversary of 4-H in Ontario and covers its early beginnings and the growth of the 4-H program at the provincial level and in each county and district of theprovince. Part 2 covers the last 20 years and the story of 4-H Ontario's growth to become an independent organization and the impact of the 4-H program on families who have been involved through several generations. The book showcases how 4-H has kept up with the times to provide diverse programs and a continuum of excellence to inspire youth and give them hands-on experience to develop transferable skills for their future. Some 40 photos are included to help depict the 4-H story over the last century.
This 414 page book by 4-H Ontario is available in hardcover, soft cover and e-book formats. Copies may now be ordered from the on-line Friesen Press bookstore here and are priced at:
Soft cover: $23.99
Hard cover: $35.99
Plus shipping and handling and 5% GST
By mid to late September, copies of Celebrating a Century of 4-H in Ontario can also be ordered from Amazon, Indigo-Chapters, Barnes & Noble and other on-line book distributors.
There are substantial savings in shipping and handling by ordering copies in bulk rather than ordering an individual copy. As the size of the order increases (maximum of 20 books per order), the shipping and handling cost per book decreases. For example, for an order of 20 books, the shipping and handling charge would be less than $1.50 per book compared to $10 for an individual book order.
Thank you to our 100th Anniversary sponsors!